- Telephone 0141 423 8000
- Opening times Daily: noon–2pm & 5pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 4–11:30pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 4pm–11.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5pm–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £8.95
- Website newgandhi.co.uk
A well-hidden but rewarding restaurant serving high-quality curries, tikka and more in the heart of Govanhill.
Inspired by the high-souled and venerable one, this Southside curry house, perched just above the bustle of Govanhill, exudes an elegance and warmth that sets it comfortably apart from sundry peers. Poppadums, with mint chutney and spiced onions, are just that smidge better than many. There’s much in the way of classics, tikkas and all sorts of sauce-based dishes – with the menu split into tandoori grill, connoisseur’s selection, kormas and specialities. The latter are available as vegetable, chicken tikka, lamb cutlet, prawn, salmon and monkfish versions. There’s some lesser-seen ingredients too – such as pistachio – and much in the way of paneer. Tikka monkfish comes yielding yet meaty, lifted by mild spice and a squeeze of lemon. Chicken tikka zaykayadar is safely nestled in a smooth red lentil and chickpea sauce, with a gentle nudge of green chillies. Attentive waiting staff and a well-selected drinks list reaffirm the already solicitous atmosphere. Attention to detail is no small undertaking for the jewel in Danny Singh’s crown.
As a new, modern styled, premier Indian restaurant in the south side of Glasgow, we believe the New Gandhi stands alone in its attention to the details and delights of the culinary senses. The deep aromas, painstakingly perfected from the riches of the mother country, swirl through a lavishly assembled contemporary space. The taste of refined spices and complex flavours beckons to the tongues of all people, from the most discriminating to the uninitiated and inexperienced plates alike, imparting the alluring pleasures of traditional Indian food. The rich culture of India has found a home in the heart of Glasgow, and the concept of a Glasgow-based Indian restaurant will never be the same.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: £2 - £5.99 dependant on postcode. Citywide service.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz
- Live entertainment: palm readings and psychic evenings
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £4 per bottle corkage