- Telephone 0141 237 3902
- Opening times Mon 5–10pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun 5–10pm
- Food served Tue/Wed 5–10pm; Thu/Fri noon–2.45pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.tarantinoristorante.co.uk
A stylish niche restaurant specialising in southern Italian dishes crafted from the best of local and Italian ingredients.
Tarantino stands out from the jostling crowd of Glasgow’s Italian restaurants with its regional focus and pristine retro style. Extra virgin olive oil is harvested from chef and owner Giovanni Giglio’s family olive groves in Sicily and the original wine list is sourced from Salento, the region at the heel of Italy that is home for the majority of the charming staff. Daily shopping trips to Glasgow’s fish market and local organic fruit and vegetable suppliers provide the ingredients for dishes based on the best of Scottish produce. Flavours are subtle without over reliance on parmesan or crea – pollo in padella transforms an everyday chicken breast with a sauce of garlic, rosemary and white wine while the gently creamy risotto prosecco e menta gives a fresh mint kick to a generous serving of carnaroli rice, salmon, prawns, rocket and prosecco. The evening Degustazione a Scelta tasting menu at £18.95 including a glass of wine is excellent value. À la carte dishes and chef’s specials are always inventive making use of imported ingredients such as burrata and fresh truffles, while desserts are house-made, with a delicious tiramisù as the star offering.
- High point: All dishes are freshly made to order
- Low point: A rather solid and overly sweet cheesecake
- Notable dish: Antipasto Tarantino – varied salamis, pickled vegetables, mozzarella, (delicious) homemade olive bread
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: classic Italian
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle