Pera: Turkish Mangal & Meze Bar
- Telephone 07756 122730
- Opening times Daily: noon–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–10pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 11am–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £5.95 (soup and chicken kebab ); 14 (evening meal)
- Website www.turkishrestaurantedinburgh.co.uk
Excellent shoebox-sized Leith Walk café doing breakfasts with salty Turkish spicy sausage and hot mezze platters for under a tenner.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Besides the ubiquitous Turkish kebab, Edinburgh locals used to have to fly to Turkey (or London’s Stoke Newington, at the very least) to find proper Turkish cooking. Now, there are several options in the capital, including this excellent Leith Walk café. It’s shoebox-sized and frills are limited to some pretty coloured lamps and protective ‘evil eyes’, which only adds to the no-fuss charm. Breakfasts are recommended, including fabulously salty Turkish spicy sausage (sucuk), salami, eggs, cheese, warm bread, jam and tea, or upsize to the Sultan’s Breakfast with extra tahini dip and olives, or a veggie alternative. Hot mezze platters are a good overview for under a tenner, with squeaky halloumi, courgette, feta and mint fritters and pastrami and mozzarella pastries, or pick and mix from delicious icli kofte (deep fried bulgur balls stuffed with spiced lamb and walnut) or refreshing kasik salad (tomato, cucumber, onion, parsley and walnuts with sumac and pomegranate dressing). Lamb and chicken dominate the mangal (charcoal barbecue) mains and there’s tagines for vegetarians. Leave space for sticky baklava and potent coffee, or an indulgent bubbling chocolate soufflé.
- High point: Plans to expand downstairs
- Low point: Can be a tight squeeze at peak times
- Notable dish: Hangover Turkish breakfast with spicy sausage, halloumi, pastrami, fried tomato, mushroom, warm bread and tea
Pera represents Turkish food at its best right in the heart of Edinburgh. We offer a unique range of authentic Turkish cuisine ranging from traditional Turkish breakfast dishes, freshly made gozleme with a choice of delicious fillings followed by a large range of hot and cold freshly made meze dishes. In the evening we also offer a variety of kebabs, all marinated in a blend of aromatic spices and flame grilled on our mangal (charcoal BBQ) the Turkish way. There is a daily catch of the day also available for fish lovers.
We are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a choice of sit in or take away.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2014
- BYOB: £1 for beers corkage (The owner is hoping to acquire a licence soon)