- Telephone 0131 220 0984
- Food served Sun–Thu 10.30am–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 10.30am–8pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website goya23.co.uk
Fine Spanish food to take-away or sit-in with a glass of cava or amontilado from one of the casks.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Stepping into Goya23 is like stepping into another age, yet with all the luxuries of the 21st century. The interior is polished, with rustic touches on display like the decorative Spanish tiles embedded in the imposing, dark-grained counter. As purveyors of fine Spanish products, the shelves are stacked high with tempting delicacies, many of which are available to enjoy on the premises. To the rear, there is a seating area with a few tables and a heavy, butchers block-style dining bench. Prop yourself on one of the high stools and enjoy a glass of cava with some tapas, or one of the casked sherries with a platter of the shop’s pride-and-joy – the jamón Ibérico. Try the oleic acid-rich Acorn Reserve, aged for over 36 months, which arrives with locally sourced artisan bread and melts on the tongue. Add some cheese and dulce de membrillo drizzled with olive oil, and you could quite easily forget where you are.
- High point: The best of Spain on your doorstep
- Low point: Having to deal with the Edinburgh weather when you finally step outside
- Notable dish: Acorn reserve jamón Ibérico
- Provides: Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish music
- Capacity: 12
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15 per bottle
- BYOB: (You can buy a bottle in the shop and pay £6 corkage to drink on premises)