Zara's Mediterranean Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 2333
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–3am. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times 4–7pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch)
- Pre-theatre price £15.50 (plus glass of wine)
- Website www.zara-mediterranean-bistro.co.uk
Small bistro with extensive menu of good quality pan-Mediterranean meze and grilled meat dishes.
Zara’s has had a refurb in slate, stone and aubergine but continues to produce crowd-pleasing cooking, curating cuisines from around the Med. Start off with a couple of mezze, or opt for a sharing banquet to sample a smörgåsbord of hot and cold dips and dishes such as homemade hummus, cool yoghurty cacik, antep ezme (Turkish salsa), tavuk salata (chicken marinated in lemon and coriander), ispanok borek (feta pastries), sucuk (spicy sausage), baked feta, falafel and so on. Mains range from wraps and chips to grilled meat dishes like ak deniz izgara (lamb or chicken with prawns and creamy garlic butter), from seafood to pasta, to signature Mediterranean treats like hunkar begendi (lamb and aubergine casserole). If you’ve got room, try a sticky, sweet, satisfying dessert like baklava, in traditional hazelnut or chocolate, or the house special of honeyed pistachio filo kadayik. Accompany with a contrastingly bitter, and necessarily fortifying, Turkish coffee, or a soothing mint tea.
- High point: Hearty Mediterranean food
- Low point: Mint tea may be needed for post-dinner digestion
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle