Zara's Mediterranean Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 2333
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–3am. Closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Closed Mon in Jan, Feb and Mar; later opening in August.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4.30–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website zarabistro.com
Small, tastefully decorated bistro with an extensive menu spanning Mediterranean mezze and chargrilled specials and bistro staples.
Zara’s is one of the first restaurants that Rose Street’s many shoppers and tourists encounter when moving from west to east, and the broad menu will likely appeal to an equally broad clientele. Weather permitting, al fresco dining is an attractive option and competitively priced lunch and early dining options provide a further draw. Inside, the restaurant’s compact and understated dining room is tastefully decorated, with wood and tartan accents. The menu combines both Mediterranean-inspired options (mezze and chargrilled meat, seafood and vegetables) and bistro staples, including steak, seafood and pasta – with an element of mid-menu crossover. The mixed grill is an example of where this fusion works well, with a deftly spiced kofta elevating the dish. Mezze-style starters can be combined with a main for a traditional two-course format or, for a true taste of the Med, share two to three per person, being sure to include the roasted pepper dip – a house speciality – scooped up with plenty of warm pitta.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic Spotify playlist
- Capacity: 34 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle