Zara's Mediterranean Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 2333
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–3am. Closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Closed Sunday in Jan and Feb; later opening in August
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4.30–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price as above for lunch
- Website zarabistro.com
Small, tastefully decorated bistro with extensive menu of good quality pan-Mediterranean mezze and grilled meat and seafood dishes.
Zara’s has had a refurb in slate, stone and aubergine but continues to produce crowd-pleasing cooking, curating cuisines from around the Med. Start off with a couple of mezze, or opt for a sharing banquet to sample a smörgåsbord of hot and cold dips and dishes such as homemade hummus, cool yoghurty cacik, antep ezme (Turkish salsa), tavuk salata (chicken marinated in lemon and coriander), ispanok borek (feta pastries), sucuk (spicy sausage), baked feta, falafel and so on. Mains range from wraps and chips to grilled meat dishes like ak deniz izgara (lamb or chicken with prawns and creamy garlic butter), from seafood to pasta, to signature Mediterranean treats like hunkar begendi (lamb and aubergine casserole). If you’ve got room, try a sticky, sweet, satisfying dessert like baklava, in traditional hazelnut or chocolate, or the house special of honeyed pistachio filo kadayik. Accompany with a contrastingly bitter, and necessarily fortifying, Turkish coffee, or a soothing mint tea.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic pop and cover versions
- Capacity: 34 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £16 per bottle