Zara's Mediterranean Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 2333
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–3am. Closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Closed Sunday in Jan and Feb; later opening in August
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4.30–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price as above for lunch
- Website zarabistro.com
Small, tastefully decorated bistro with extensive menu of good quality pan-Mediterranean mezze and grilled meat and seafood dishes.
Located in the upper reaches of the tourist drag that is Rose St, entering Zara’s feels a bit like finding an oasis in the desert. Inside it's relaxed and tasteful, with exposed ceiling beams, textured wall tiles and muted tartan seating. Zara’s clearly has an ambition to be more than just cheap and cheerful and it succeeds. The menu just about manages to straddle Mediterranean mezze dining and Scottish bistro styles. There are a bunch of small plates that can work as either starters or mezze, including dips, bruschetta, filo parcels and some very tasty lamb meatballs. For those after the bistro experience, head for the steak and burgers, salmon and a handful of pasta and vegetarian dishes. While the menu may not stray too far from the tried and tested, Zara’s certainly delivers tasty, satisfying food in a pleasant, central location. Well-priced early dining and lunch options, along with outdoor seating, mean that Zara’s should appeal to late-night and weekend shoppers as well as just the tourist market.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic pop and cover versions
- Capacity: 34 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £16 per bottle