- Telephone 0131 629 3320
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm & 6–9.30pm; Sat & Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 6–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–8pm.
- Pre-theatre times Until 7.30pm
- Average price £8.50 (soup & bento)
- Pre-theatre price £8.50 (soup & bento)
- Website www.hakatayauk.com
Japanese food in stylish surrounds hidden down a lane just off Rose Street.
Hakataya is a laid-back sushi bar with simple décor and modern furnishings, with a menu that covers all the Japanese classics. Homemade pork gyoza dumplings go down a treat with a swig of the house beer, closely followed by generously sized salmon and avocado maki. If it’s ramen you’re after then the tonkotsu broth is hearty and aromatic; topped with delicious pork belly and enriched with soy sauce and pork stock, it’s particularly a treat for a bleak Edinburgh day. The teriyaki bento box comes complete with hijiki, edamame, chicken teriyaki, sticky rice and miso. Service is prompt and friendly and staff know their way round the menu too.
- High point: Home made gyoza
- Low point: Closes at 2.30pm so no chance of a late lunch
- Notable dish: Home made gyoza
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/hakataya?day=today&rpos=57&time=1245
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15 per bottle