- Telephone 0131 229 4554
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8.45am–6pm; closed Sun. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8.45am–5.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £11 (lunch)
High-quality Bruntsfield deli/café with a focus on sourcing great produce.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Rounding the bend as Bruntsfield and Morningside collide is this compact deli and café with only four much-in-demand tables. Serving produce that is almost impossible not to buy on the way out to enjoy again at home, 181 Delicatessen focuses its priorities on quality food with flavour that is fresh and natural. Brunch makes for difficult decisions. It’s a toss up between toasted bagels with Inverawe smoked salmon and cream cheese or a choice of imaginative, daily-changing, crisp pastry quiches – morbier cheese, apple and walnut is a genius combo. Cheese and ham sandwich is hardly a fitting description for 181’s version with Fife’s Puddledub gammon and Blarliath cheddar plus the added bonus of homemade beetrooty coleslaw. For the larger appetite, the Producers Platter offers pretty much the lot, while the savoury theme segues into home-baking, with the likes of brie, walnut and parsley scones.
- High point: Great produce, imaginatively used
- Low point: Not a lot of seating
- Notable dish: Morbier cheese, apple and walnut quiche
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Easy listening, jazz
- Capacity: 11
- Open since: 2014