- Telephone 0131 228 8804
- Opening times Tue–Thu 4pm–11pm; Fri–Sun noon–11pm; closed Mon. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri 5.30–11pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.tugasamor.co.uk/EN
Opened in 2014 by Lisbon native Caitia Sousa and her father, Tugas Amor is located in the slightly unloved area where Fountainbridge meets Gorgie/Dalry. Just along from the multiplex and chain restaurants and a bit removed from the Haymarket footfall, it’s taken guts to set up a family business in this part of town. The menu impresses with a focus on authentic Portuguese food. A chorizo flambéed at the table is more artisan black pudding than the orange stuff you’ll find in the supermarket, while a starter of grilled sardines is simple and beautiful, the sort of food you’d want to try and track down on holiday. Mains include traditional smoked sausage and the ubiquitous chicken piri piri, here properly jointed, blackened from the grill and served with extra sauce to up the heat factor as you will. Inside is filled with traditional artwork and family photographs and food is served in lovely earthenware pottery. Matched with BYOB, knowledgeable service and a buzzy neighbourhood feel, it’s definitely worth seeking out.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Portuguse music
- Capacity: 30 (2 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014
- BYOB: £2 corkage (BYOB applies to wine. Licensing application in progresss.)