Veritas Vino Ristorante
- Telephone 0131 315 2860
- Opening times Mon–Thu 5–10pm; Fri 5–11pm; Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 11am–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri 5–11pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–10pm; Mon closed.
- Average price £23 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Website www.veritasedinburgh.com
Local basement Italian in fashionable Stockbridge, softly lit with a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Often mentioned in ‘best places to live’ lists, Stockbridge is home to a growing number of quality restaurants. Contributing to this undoubted attraction of the area is Veritas, a cosy and welcoming basement Italian which is a cut above the usual neighbourhood dining spot. Managed by lead chef, Gabriele Dianetti from Rome (a protégé of predecessor Riccardo Verrecchia) Veritas serves solidly Italian-kitchen home-cooking, with much of the food sourced on the doorstep. Fresh fish (Dover sole, but could just as easily be swordfish or calamari) is picked up every morning from Armstrong’s, just along the road, and falls off the bone perfectly, skilfully flavoured with white wine, lemon and capers. A tagliere of meats, grilled vegetables and cheeses is ample for two, while other typical dishes include a fulsome stew of cannellini beans and leeks or Italian sausage with roast potatoes.
- High point: Unpretentious yet very good cooking
- Low point: A bit too dark to read the menu
- Notable dish: Pan-fried Dover Sole in a white wine, lemon and caper sauce
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz/funkblues
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: May 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle