- Telephone 0131 332 3362
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat & Sun: 2–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2:30pm, 5–10:30pm; Sat/Sun 2–11pm.
- Average price £8 (3 courses); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.ronaqrestaurant.co.uk
Down in Craigleith, Ronaq serves your classic curry house offerings in a relaxed and welcoming setting.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Down in Craigleith, Ronaq is simple and modern from the outside, while inside all is bold and flamboyant: ornate silver wall hangings, cornicing and chandeliers against rich purples and blacks. The menu is fairly typical of a Western curry house, although the presentation of the dishes is a notch above the standard. For those who can’t decide, the thali – four meat or vegetable dishes served with accompaniments – is a great choice. In particular, the vegetable dishes, while simple and familiar, standout. The saag dhal, well-spiced and full of flavour, proves that humble vegetarian ingredients, when cooked well, are satisfying and delicious. Although the garlic chicken chilli balti, aside from extra garlic, is fairly undistinguishable from the Punjabi aloo gosht (lamb and potato), both deliver a good chilli kick. Service is welcoming and efficient – all in, it’s an enjoyable and relaxed experience with well-presented, tasty food – exactly what you want in a neighbourhood joint.
- High point: Warm and welcoming staff
- Low point: Little differentiation between some dishes
- Notable dish: Saag Dahl
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian music
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £13 per bottle