Ronaq offers classic curry house favourites and signature dishes in a welcoming, opulent setting not too far from the city centre.
Ronaq’s Craigleith location is just out of the way enough to warrant ‘neighbourhood restaurant’ status. But the city centre is just 10-15 minutes away, so there’s really no reason not to make the trip. Those who do are rewarded with a well-rounded wine list, a well-executed menu of classics and signature dishes and attentive service. Inside is opulent: dimmed diamanté chandeliers, gilt edges, dark paint and furniture create a dramatic backdrop for dinner. This is no case of style over substance though as the food also offers up plenty to please. A mixed starter platter of tikka with king prawn, veg pakora and an outstanding, richly spiced seekh kebab has no weak links. Vegetarian signature main sabzi balti balances a robust background chilli heat with accomplished spicing and tender fresh vegetables that retain their bite, while barbecued lamb kathmandu with lentils is extremely tender. For afters, mango kulfi and gulab jamun are both good, with whipped cream and chocolate sauce adding a touch of flamboyance.
- High point: Genuinely warm, welcoming and knowledgeable staff
- Low point: Chilli naan, though tasty, is a touch doughy
- Notable dish: Sabzi balti
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/dean-village/ronaq
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian music
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £14 per bottle