The Caffeine Drip
- Telephone 0131 538 9579
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm; Sat & Sun 8am–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–4.30pm; Sat/Sun 9am–4.30pm.
- Average price £6.50–£8.50 (set lunch)
- Website www.thecaffeinedrip.com
South African coffee house and bakery serving authentic, freshly made food in the heart of the West End.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Bringing a splash of South African colour to the very Edinburgh West End, the Caffeine Drip is as far away from bog standard cafés and dreary sandwich shops as you can get. All the food, including soups and cakes, is made from scratch using fresh ingredients in a kitchen many restaurants would envy. It shows too, with huge doorstep club sandwiches filled with spicy pulled pork and sour pickles while the boerewors rolls feature traditional South African beef and pork sausage made to an authentic recipe by a local butcher. The coffee's up to scratch too, impeccably sourced from Peru, Honduras and Ethiopia with Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance and organic certification. The vegan and gluten-free options don't feel like an afterthought, and the breakfast menu is well worth checking out if you're looking for a venue for that pre-9am meeting.
- High point: Fresh food made from scratch
- Low point: Upstairs area lacks atmosphere
- Notable dish: Old School Boerie roll
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Reggae and soul, South African music
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 2014