The Rum Shack
Not even just a little bit of the Caribbean in the Southside The Rum Shack is either the new reason to go to the Southside or your new favourite neighbourhood bar.
A Caribbean island in Glasgow's Southside, this colourful bar boasts a gantry of rum, authentic cuisine and chilled-out vibes. Beer drinkers can enjoy offerings from Mexico, Cuba, Trinidad and Brazil, and to help guide spirit drinkers through the vast collection of rum they've selected four simple serves and six original cocktails, including the Marchtown Swizzle – a sweet mix of Dark Matter rum, honey and ginger syrup, and orange blossom. The great-value weekday lunch menu features a jerk chicken burger and Jamaican vegetable curry, while in the evening you can order from the Dutch Pot or the Jerk Pit. It's hearty food served in generous portions, with skilfully blended Caribbean spices. The slow-cooked ‘chicken brown down’ is beautifully tender, while the Trini street food of chickpea curry on flatbreads is fragrant and topped with a coriander salsa. In good weather the funky beer garden means you can enjoy a rum in the sun.
- High point: Promoting rum culture with zero pretension
- Low point: No room left to try the sweet potato scone
- Notable dish: Chicken brown down – stew chicken served with Trini-style macaroni pie and callaloo
- Private dining: 250 downstairs in club.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Reggae
- Live entertainment: Live music during the week, DJs at weekends, all sorts in the space downstairs including music, theatre and community groups
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 7 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
90s/00s Anti-Prom Party
MILK Glasgow present this retro prom party featuring a special screening of romcom Never Been Kissed, DJs, VJs, a tuck shop and more. All proceeds to Bloodwise.
Sat 30 Sep
£7 club night & movie; £5 club night only (after 8pm) / 0141 237 4432
Glasgow Short Film Festival presents a batch of shorts from open-source filmmaking collective Borscht.
Thu 28 Sep
£6 / 0141 237 4432
Part of Glasgow Short Film Festival.
- 19:00 – 00:00
The Gatsby Speakeasy
Dress to impress at this speakeasy night. Booking is essential.
Fri 22 Dec
£10 / 0800 411 8881
JD Twitch + Fergus Clark
The rum shack celebrates its third birthday with special sets of Jamaican music from Twitch (Optimo) and Fergus Clark.
Fri 6 Oct
£7 / 0141 237 4432
- 21:00 – 01:00
A disco, funk and electronica mash.
Fri 22 Sep
£3 / 0141 237 4432
Plus a live performance from the Immaculate Rivombo.
- 21:00 – 01:00
Acid house and techno.
Sat 23 Sep
£5 (tbc) / 0141 237 4432
With The Modern Institute and Roc Jiménez de Cisneros (DJ).
- 20:00 – 01:00