Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill
- Telephone 0141 226 7726
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon-midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–3pm, 5–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 12.30–6.30pm
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £18.95
- Website www.mpwsteakhouseglasgow.com
Great meats and wines under the watchful gaze of a certain celebrity chef at this plush city centre steakhouse, bar and grill.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Marco Pierre who? That’ll be the guy moodily staring down from huge photographs on every wall. He’s even on the menu, wielding a meat cleaver menacingly – as if as a warning to would be complainants. Fortunately there are few reasons to grumble at the famously hot-blooded celebrity alpha chef’s Glasgow branch of his steakhouse chain. With its cavernous ceiling and bright lighting, you feel hell of a small sitting in one of the roomy red leather booths. The ‘affordable glamour’ tests the definition of affordability – with little change from £30 for each of their four cheapest steaks. But the lean two or three-course set menu presents a much more reasonable deal, and most importantly a high standard of cooking and service – consistently better than most local rivals – is maintained throughout. A starter of warm baked camembert with sourdough toast and roast vine tomatoes is smartly presented. The trimly cut Scotch beef fillet steak looks and tastes similarly fine, likewise the triple-cooked chips – perfectly golden crisp, fluffy inside. Trust staff on suggested wine pairings, and leave room for a grown-up’s knickerbocker glory.
- High point: Well-drilled and attentive staff
- Low point: Ever get the feeling you’re being watched?
- Notable dish: Warm baked camembert with sourdough toast and roast vine tomatoes
- No. overnight rooms: 94
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: soft, easy listening
- Live entertainment: open mic nights, DJ on Friday nights
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Restaurant review: Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill13 Nov 2014
Emphasis on local quality food sourcing and friendly staff set venue apart
It’s 15 years since he left the kitchen, but Marco Pierre White is still a culinary name that gets a reaction. Now the great man (via one of his franchise businesses) has put his name to the Indigo Hotel’s restaurant. Photos of MPW (brooding, reclining…