- Telephone 0141 334 7139
- Opening times Mon–Sun 8am–10pm
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–3pm, 5–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–3pm, 5pm–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–9.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.elgustofood.com
A small, enthusiastic and creative tapas diner close to Kelvingrove Park, with a big fat Spanish heart.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A recent refurbishment has accentuated El Gusto’s informal bistro feel, highlighting exposed stone walls, wooden floors, tiled tables and upholstered benches scattered with mismatched cushions. Sprightly owner Guillermo de la Orden, a former chef at Malaga on the Southside, can frequently be found holding court front of house or in the kitchen. When not serenading customers with his fine ukulele repertoire, he is busy upscaling his superb tapas menu. Small plates come with substantial portions – highlights include a choice of fabulous paellas such as the mixta with chicken and fresh juicy prawns. Lush goat’s cheese is given lift with a glossy topping of sweet molasses and pomegranate, while conejo en salsa is rabbit stew with an almond and cinnamon aroma, rich and substantial with deep chocolate notes. Service is enthusiastic if a touch ramshackle here and there, but El Gusto will probably always feel like a work in progress since the chef is responding to changing tastes and sourcing through his exciting, creative dishes. Still lacking a drinks licence, it offers the perfect opportunity to bring your favourite tipple at only £3 corkage.
- High point: Great flavours and creative spins
- Low point: Still BYOB – but only £3 corkage
- Notable dish: Conejo en salsa – rabbit stew
- Delivery: Postcodes G3, G4, G12 G11, G13, G14, G51 - £2.25
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish music
- Live entertainment: Occasional ukulele nights
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014
- BYOB: £3 corkage