- Telephone 0131 225 4186
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: late licence
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website theparadisepalms.com
Green Arts Initiative
Good-time cocktail lounge vibe which goes beyond student land. The vegetarian soul food has spirit, as do the drinks.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Paradise Palms’ neon signs, disco balls and cocktail lounge vibe may transport you back to the beautifully tasteless 80s, but there’s nothing flavourless about the menu. Both drinks and food are carefully considered and the staff are passionate about sharing their favourite dishes, hot sauces and drinks. Choosing between the cocktails is a tough job, but is aided by enlightening descriptions. The bright blue Miami Nice is, as the menu promises, like a kiss from Don Johnson and the Buckfast Daiquiri will take your taste buds on a trip. With regular DJs and cabaret nights, this is a party bar for more than just the local students and the vegetarian (and often vegan) menu introduced in early 2016 is a far cry from the rabbit food stereotype. The corn fritters could rival the mighty bacon roll in curing a hangover and the nachos are piled high with fresh salsa and flavour.
- High point: They even manage to make Buckfast taste good
- Low point: Food only served until 8.30pm, so get there early
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s, eclectic
- Live entertainment: DJs, live bands, cabaret, speed dating (on the 14th of the month), poetry, live stream to YouTube channel on a Thursday
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 25 for food, 40 for drinks and snacks
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £10 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 11 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Scottish dance music pioneers mixing post-punk and Krautrock influences with Balearic house beats.
Hip hop, electro and funky house.
A disco, funk and electronica mash.
Paradise Pains brings ECA students together for a night of performance art, music and dancing. Expect an eclectic mix of live art and DJing.
Offbeat vinyl selections from in-house curators Percy Main, Andrea Montalto and guests.
Percy Main Social Club
Monthly social with Percy Main and pals, with disco tunes, plus boogie and gospel.
Regular drawing and painting circle where participants can create works of art using a reimagined version of a scene with a model, props and set.
Mon 27 Mar
£12 / 0131 225 4186
Primitive Painters: Picture This - Selfie By Numbers. Portrait artist and illustrator Charlie of Liberty & Bread invites you to create a portrait. A photo you supply in advance will be illustrated and transferred to a canvas, ready for you to paint on the day.
Primitive Painters: Draw The Line
A life drawing session.
Primitive Painters: Draw The Line – High Rise
Life drawing session inspired by the work of JG Ballard. Dystoperriffic!
Sun 2 Apr
£15 / 0131 225 4186
A life drawing session inspired by JG Ballard's novel High-Rise. Admission includes a complimentary cocktail.
Prices to be confirmed / 0131 225 4186
Tropical beats, jazz, funk and world music.
Reviews & features
Paradise Palms announces record shop and label4 Nov 2015
'When you dig a little deeper you find a wealth of creatives.'
‘You’re not going to find much above ground with Edinburgh Council so lacking in integrity, vision or enterprise but when you dig a little deeper you find a wealth of creatives, performers, artists, makers and musicians.’ One of Edinburgh’s newest…