- Telephone 0131 554 0955
- Opening times Mon–Sun 9am–midnight
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun 9am–11pm in the summer.
- Bar open Mon–Fri 9am–11pm; Sat/Sun 9am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–11pm.
- Average price £25 (bread, 3 tapas and dessert); £25 (evening meal)
- Website serranomanchego.co.uk
Big, buzzy tapas bar serving excellent Spanish food from breakfast until late.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
After the tram work cloud that hung over the area for a couple of years, Serrano Manchego is one of a handful of relative newcomers contributing to Leith Walk’s rebirth as a going-out destination. It's big, bright and busy, with large windows looking out onto the street from the simple, stylish tapas bar within. The vibe is modern and youthful, a contemporary take on a traditional Spanish institution. Catering to its Scottish clientele, there’s table service by some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Spanish staff. It excels in giving its customers well-chosen, quality produce (think hams, cheeses and olives) rather than being about flashy cooking, with food coming from all corners of Spain rather than favouring a particular region. Tuck into the likes of croquettes, fried squid or a notable grilled cod in a pepper and tomato sauce. With its excellent wine and sherry list, you could just drop in for a drink and a few nibbles, although once you’ve started eating, you might not want to stop.
- High point: Stylish and modern, great to hang out in
- Low point: Can be noisy at weekends
- Notable dish: Jamón serrano reserva
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £18 per bottle