The Project Cafe
- Telephone 0141 332 9520
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–5pm; Sat 10am–5pm; closed Sun.
- Average price £6 (set lunch)
- Website theprojectcafe.com
The Project Café brings a community village vibe to the heart of the city, with imaginative home cooked veggie dishes at rock-bottom prices
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There is a sense of community among the staff and patrons of the Project Café that is rarely found in city centre venues. Attracting artists, students and Garnethill residents, it captures the creative vibe of the area. Unexpectedly situated at the base of a high rise, this social enterprise café is cool but casual. It incorporates a swap shop, sells fruit and veg, and exhibits local artists’ work on its walls. Its blackboard menu changes daily, offering a selection of salads, and one or two special main courses ranging from tomato and basil pasta to quesadillas. The vegetarian menu is simple yet imaginative, adding to Glasgow’s already strong reputation for vegetarian dining. Barley and broccoli salad with tofu and walnuts offers a wholesome mix of flavours and textures, while their fresh, sweet coleslaw eschews mayonnaise for a citrus dressing. The café also hosts live music and poetry readings in partnership with local organisations.
- High point: Delicious cakes baked on site
- Low point: Difficult to stumble upon
- Notable dish: Barley and broccoli salad
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music, poetry readings, plus exhibitions and openings
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014