- Telephone 0131 281 5140
- Seasonal times Festival: later opening
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–7pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £5.50 (coffee & cake/pastry)
- Website filamentcoffee.com
Filament promises more than just another coffee bar in what's a fast-changing, caffiene-fuelled scene.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With its simple white and grey colour scheme, concrete flooring, some ironically naff furniture and too-cool-for-school staff, Clerk Street’s Filament (formerly a much-loved Old Town pop-up) certainly earns a full house in barista bingo. But any worries this hip hangout is all scene, no bean are neatly sidestepped thanks to some excellent coffee (supplied by Has Bean, Square Mile and guest roasters including Edinburgh's Williams & Johnson) and equally fine cakes, such as a gloriously moreish chocolate and peanut butter effort, which come courtesy of local home-baker Suki Bakes. Pastries are from North Berwick's Doorstop Bakery, and there's a handful of bagels from the Bearded Baker available too, topped with spreads or as well-judged filled versions, while tea, fresh smoothies and juices complete the liquid line-up.
- Notable dish: coffee
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Dance, doo-wop, electronica, hip-hop and power ballad Mondays
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2014 (as a pop-up)