- Telephone 0131 281 2576
- Opening times Tue–Sat 1.30–9pm; closed Mon & Sun.
- Bar open Tue–Thu 5.30–11pm; Fri/Sat 5.30pm–midnight. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue–Wed 1.30–4.30pm, 5.30–9pm; Thu–Sat noon–4.30pm, 5.30–9pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £11 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.redwoodbistro.com
Relaxed Californian neighbourhood restaurant in Corstorphine with a menu full of sunlight-soaked produce.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This relaxed neighbourhood restaurant is in a fairly unlikely spot for Californian dreaming, just by PC World and Tesco in Corstorphine. While traffic snakes past the roundabout outside, inside the walls are decorated with posters of Santa Cruz and Napa Valley and the menu is full of sunlight-soaked produce from the Golden State. San Franciscan owner-chef Annette Sprague (some will remember her first restaurant, Stockbridge’s popular Redwood) wanted to create a local bistro where friends could socialise – and the steady stream of Corstorphinites seem to approve. Reflecting Californian cooking trends, expect plenty sweet-savoury flourishes (spicy caramel bacon popcorn, or twice-baked cheese soufflé with poached pears and spiced pecans both work nicely with a glass of their Californian chardonnay), Eurasian influences (prawns and mussels with fresh pasta, fennel, tomatoes, ouzo and chilli-lemon panko crumb) and Mexican nods (spiced duck comes with pipian mole verde sauce). The long wine list includes a couple of interesting cabernet sauvignons and pinot noirs from California or there’s San Francisco’s Anchor Steam for beer drinkers.
- High point: They take group bookings to create a holiday-feel on special occasions
- Low point: No lunch, just coffee and cake on Tuesday and Wednesdays
- Notable dish: California ‘French’ Dip baguette, with sliced beef, gorgonzola, caramelised onions, tarragon mayo, beef jus dipping sauce and side salad
- Private dining: 2 rooms of 25 – can book 1 room for 25 people
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 1960s pop, easy listening
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £17 per bottle