Cannonball Restaurant & Bar
- Telephone 0131 225 1550
- Opening times Tue–Sat noon–10pm; closed Mon & Sun.
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun 11am–10pm.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5.30–7.30pm
- Average price £15 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.contini.com/contini-cannonball
Well-sourced Scottish food in an elegantly restored historic townhouse right at the top of the Royal Mile.
Even if you don’t believe the yarn about Katie, Cannonball House’s ghostly Victorian schoolgirl, there’s still a rich history to the place. Formerly Castlehill primary school (hence Katie), this 15th-century townhouse is named after the projectile wedged high up on its west wall, apocryphally attributed to a pot-shot at Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745. So far, so historic, but what Edinburgh restaurateurs Victor and Carina Contini have done is turn it into a stylish, airy restaurant, that platforms some of Scotland's best food producers. A seasonally changing menu of modern classics is peppered proudly with sourcing details, from a canapé of excellent Loch Duart smoked salmon, to a main of grilled Eyemouth lobster. Phantassie Farm vegetables play a strong role, whether in colourful blobs and swoops of sweet celeriac and carrot accompanying a loin of venison, or charred florets of romanesco broccoli alongside a goat’s cheese panacotta. With a decent lunch deal and an impressive five course taster menu, plus the Contini’s trademark attentive service, it seems Cannonball House has been given new life, and no-one is complaining, except maybe Katie.
- High point: Proud use of excellent Scottish ingredients
- Low point: Service can seem over-attentive
- Notable dish: Goose with pickled cranberries, charred sprouts and apple vinegar
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Scottish folk
- Capacity: 55
- Largest group: 74
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £22 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Celebrate New Year's Eve overlooking Edinburgh Castle with stunning views of the fireworks and cityscape.
Sun 31 Dec
£125 / 0131 225 1550
- 21:00 – 01:00
Hogmanay Fish and Fizz at Cannonball Bar
Whisky, Scottish music, award-winning lobster mac'n’cheese and prosecco.
Sun 31 Dec
£50 / 0131 225 1550
- 21:00 – 01:00
Reviews & features
Cannonball toasts World Whisky Day with Glengoyne event16 May 2017
What better way to spend the day than sampling the finest single malts on Edinburgh's Royal Mile
Lovers of Scotland's national drink can enjoy a free dram on World Whisky Day, with the compliments of Edinburgh's Cannonball Restaurant & Bar. The Royal Mile favourite has teamed up with Glengoyne Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky to run an…
Restaurant review: Victor & Carina Contini Caffè & Cannonball23 Sep 2014
Italian-Scots food hub on the Royal Mile brings quality food to tourist trail
Carina and Victor Contini do projects like ducks do water. Or maybe, in fact, swans: a slightly confusing identity at first, plenty of paddling beneath the surface, but ultimately graceful and distinguished. Since decoupling from Valvona & Crolla ten…