Bell & Felix
- Telephone 0141 649 1684
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7am–6pm; Sat/Sun 9am–6pm
- Food served Mon–Wed 8am–6pm; Thu/Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–10pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.bellandfelix.com
Popular day-time coffee spot gets the evening bistro treatment on weekends, dishing up Scottish and Asian-inspired dishes for Southsiders.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The popular daytime café is setting out its stall as a weekend night-time bistro – a very welcome initiative on a stretch of Kilmarnock Road that is severely lacking in evening dining options. A solid menu takes the something-for-everyone approach, leaning towards Asian and Scottish flavours. The salt and chilli squid is lifted by lemon aioli and spring onion, while a pickled chilli and warm noodle salad proves to be a delicious foil to sweet chicken satay skewers. Rustic mains such as a venison bourguignon and a roast chicken, accompanied by a slick roast onion purée, stick to the ribs in the best possible way. A flat iron steak could maybe be taken off the heat a few seconds earlier, yet it is tempered and overshadowed by its accompanying sides of fresh herb chimichurri and moreish confit baby tomatoes. As word spreads, look out for Bell & Felix becoming the bustling neighbourhood favourite it deserves to be.
- High point: Much-needed evening dining on Kilmarnock Road
- Low point: Fridge-cold cheeseboard
- Notable dish: Venison bourguignoin
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle