Bell & Felix
- Telephone 0141 649 1684
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7am–6pm; Sat/Sun 9am–6pm
- Food served Mon–Wed 8am–6pm; Thu/Fri 8am–10pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 9am–6pm.
- Pre-theatre times Thu all night; Fri/Sat 4–7pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.bellandfelix.com
Popular day-time coffee spot gets the evening bistro treatment on weekends, dishing up Scottish and Asian-inspired dishes for Southsiders.
Perched on the bridge over the White Cart, by day this stylish café is an easy-going coffee shop, but three nights a week Bell & Felix opens late to provide a classy, candlelit bistro experience. Dishes such as goat’s cheese and parma ham, and crispy calamari served with hot fresh chilli and cooling aioli, allow the quality of the ingredients to speak for themselves. Other dishes such as monkfish and coconut curry, with meaty white fish and big juicy prawns in a delicately spiced sauce with a mound of fluffy rice, or the delicious special of roast duck with a pulled duck breast croquette and wilted greens and brambles, allow the kitchen to show its considerable skill. It may not be the cheapest spot in the area, but it provides a top-quality bistro dining venue that is sorely needed at this end of Kilmarnock Road. Throw in a decent wine list and some delicious homemade desserts, including a gorgeous lime cheesecake, and it is well worth remembering Bell & Felix is there.
- High point: Restaurant quality food
- Low point: Duck breast but no steak knife?
- Notable dish: Salt and pepper calamari
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.45 per bottle