- Telephone 0141 248 9359
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website topolabamba.com
Lively Tex-Mex bar and diner that serves Mexican classics and offers great £1 and tasting deals.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Topolabamba is that all too rare find – a lively city centre bar/diner that serves fresh food at great prices. The menu mixes tapas dishes (around a fiver each) such as tacos and quesadillas with blokey Tex-Mex ‘Big Boys’ of ribs, burgers and burritos while intolerances and chilli strengths are clearly indicated. Wings, ribs and fish tacos are go-to dishes and the latter do not disappoint. Crispy hunks of the day’s catch, wrapped in soft tacos with a drizzle of Mexican crema are dreamy for anyone with fondness for these posh fish finger sandwiches. Intriguing combos such as the guacamole and black bean tostadas or the quesadillas with cactus and smoked chilli also feature. Among the ‘Classics’ is a cheese fundido, or fondue, served with tortilla chips – they are very salty, so do have a Caipirinha cocktail or a chilled Dos Equis beer to hand, or follow swiftly with a horchata ice-cream. There is certainly an attempt to bring a taste of real Mexico to Glasgow and the jovial staff make you feel as if you have been specially invited along for that purpose.
- High point: Great value and helpful, jolly staff
- Low point: Very salty tortillas
- Notable dish: Crispy fried fish of the day soft corn tacos with crema
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Playlist of South American beats
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle