The Hyndland Fox
- Telephone 0141 341 6671
- Opening times Daily: 8am–midnight.
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight, Fri–Sat 11am-1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4–10pm
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £25 (3 courses)
- Website www.thehyndlandfox.co.uk
A union between Peckham’s and restaurant group G1 may seem like one made far from heaven, but the granddaddy of Glasgow delis and the style-obsessed operator have enlivened a well-heeled corner of Hyndland. This enjoyable café-bistro on the site of Peckham’s old shop is spread across bright ground floor and mezzanine with aproned staff whisking about. Much of the early popularity is down to the top quality and locally sourced ingredients that go into decently priced breakfasts, lunches and bistro offerings of coq au vin, steak frites, chargrilled burger and the like. Williams Bros. on draught, Bloody Marys and small-batch, single-origin coffee roastings are notable beverages.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
As the love child of quirky Glasgow deli giant Peckham’s and cool fashionista G1 group, The Hyndland fox occupies a prime corner in the reputable West End suburb. Occupying two levels, the compact area makes good use of space with window seating and a mezzanine area with full length windows. Brunch plates start at 8am, finishing at 5pm serving a wide variety from smoked kippers and poached eggs through to salt beef hash with fried potato, cooked breakfasts and several French toast variants. As day turns to night the space transforms to a twinkling romantic hideaway offering everything from a casual beer and cured meat sharing board to scallops, steak, wine and artisan gins. The scallops are fresh and well seasoned, accompanied with sweet onion purée and crisp smoked bacon adding texture and salty crunch, and Orkney Gold ribeye is similarly well handled by the kitchen. Service from the young crowd may not be the most enthusiastic, but live music, a relaxed lively atmosphere and good food promos keep the punters coming back for more.
- High point: Relaxing neighbourhood bistro and bar
- Low point: Service could use a shake up
- Notable dish: Scallops, Onion Puree and Bacon
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul/funk
- Live entertainment: Acoustic music, Fri-Sat 9-11pm
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 25+
- Open since: May 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle