The Hyndland Fox
- Telephone 0141 341 6671
- Opening times Daily: 8am–midnight.
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight, Fri–Sat 11am-1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4–10pm
- Pre-theatre price £25 (3 courses)
- Website www.thehyndlandfox.co.uk
A union between Peckham’s and restaurant group G1 may seem like one made far from heaven, but the granddaddy of Glasgow delis and the style-obsessed operator have enlivened a well-heeled corner of Hyndland. This enjoyable café-bistro on the site of Peckham’s old shop is spread across bright ground floor and mezzanine with aproned staff whisking about. Much of the early popularity is down to the top quality and locally sourced ingredients that go into decently priced breakfasts, lunches and bistro offerings of coq au vin, steak frites, chargrilled burger and the like. Williams Bros. on draught, Bloody Marys and small-batch, single-origin coffee roastings are notable beverages.
Locals haven’t all warmed straight away to this joint venture between Peckhams deli chain and hospitality giant G1, as they work to get the formula just right. Whatever your impressions, it’s worth stopping in to experience some new additions to their offering, including the ‘Fox After 4’ three-course set menu, which is a bit more involved than their standard à la carte and changes weekly subject to different seasonal ingredients. The space – a prime corner spot in leafy Hyndland – is instantly inviting, with candlelit tables and bench seats hugging floor-to-ceiling windows and a second mezzanine level intricately laid out with snug booths. Their beer selection is small but well formed, with 6.2% Lagunitas IPA on draft and mainly American (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada) and British (Camden) brews in the fridge. Food from the à la carte menu can stumble occasionally in preparation – harissa chicken skewers are cooked black in places, while the deli burger patty and bun are both rather dry. There’s still room for improvement, but the Fox has the potential to become a neighbourhood favourite if it continues to up its game.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul/funk
- Live entertainment: Acoustic music, Fri-Sat 9-11pm
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 25+
- Open since: May 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle