- Telephone 0131 228 4059
- Opening times Tue–Fri 11am–6.30pm; Sat 10am–6.30pm; Sun 11am–5pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri 11am–6.30pm; Sat 10am–6.30pm; Sun 11am–5pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £7.50 (savoury crêpe, drink and patisserie)
- Website www.mademoisellemacaron.co.uk
Flamboyant macaron flavours, from whisky to Irn-Bru, served with aspirations towards French finesse at this bite-sized coffee shop.
Hidden just far enough away from the rumble of Lothian Road, Mademoiselle Macaron is still something of an undiscovered phenomenon. When the small shop front and café is quiet, though, Mademoiselle and her team are kept busy packaging up painstakingly delicate boxes of rainbow macarons to be shipped across the city and further afield. Playful flavours and bright colours have an obvious appeal and variations from traditional raspberry to whisky or Irn-Bru seem to be gathering a reputation for themselves. While the menu here has an inevitable bias, a choux bun in the shape of a swan or a Paris-Brest puffed up with cream are both tempting alternatives alongside a cup of coffee. A wooden Eiffel tower protruding from the wall and a scattering of viewfinders with French scenes add notes of fun, while a couple of chaise longues aspire to decadence, but perhaps the most pleasing feature here is the outlook towards Edinburgh Castle.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Live entertainment: Macaron-making classes and a nail bar twice a week
- Capacity: 10
- Largest group: 15 (includes standing)
- Open since: 2014
Reviews & features
Best shops to buy sweet treats for Christmas14 Dec 2016
Featuring Artisan Cheesecake, Coco Chocolatier and Tantrum Doughnuts
That awkward moment when you ask your host, 'can I bring anything' and they answer, 'dessert'. Put down the Mary Berry cookbook and leave the baking to the professionals. Here, we round up where to go for a sugar fix.