NY American Grill
- Telephone 0141 221 7667
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon– Thu noon–7pm, Fri noon–6pm
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.nyamericangrill.co.uk
Another operation from the owners of neighbouring café Cranachan and tapas bar Barca, this top-floor diner does US food and drink in a comfortably stylish setting where the Americana is concentrated in the menu more than on the walls. From the impressive US cocktail offerings, great selection of bourbons and craft beers, and classic transatlantic food from deli sandwiches to burgers and dogs, it’s an intriguing newcomer offering decent dining, though food may occasionally feel by the numbers – and it’s hard to discern the benefits of their much-lauded Josper grill, especially on the less-than-juicy burgers.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The name really says it all, this member of the upmarket food court is the place for all-American burgers, hot dogs and tacos along with steaks, chicken and ribs – and it’s the coal-fired grill that elevates the relatively straightforward offerings. The Josper grill – essentially an indoor barbecue – renders chicken skin wonderfully crispy and the flesh meltingly tender, while burgers have a chargrilled intensity. Away from the grill, tacos are packed with tempura fish, topped with guacamole and served with sour cream and a mild salsa. A smoky hot dog may be smothered with Carolina pulled pork, caramelised onions, American cheese – or all three. Desserts, too, stay firmly in the American canon, with key lime pie, apple pie and New York Cheesecake among the choices. In keeping with the Stateside ethos, portion sizes are generous and service is friendly and efficient. There’s also an excellent drinks selection, with more than 30 varieties of bourbon, a vast range of American-inspired cocktails and guest craft beers from US breweries.
- High point: Amazing grilled chicken wings
- Low point: Salsa lacks a chilli kick
- Notable dish: NY Hotdog
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: singer songwriters
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: May 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle