- Telephone 0131 629 1420
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm; Sat & Sun 9am–5pm.
- Seasonal times Announced on their website
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–6pm.
- Average price £6.50 (soup £2 with a sandwich)
- Website www.cairngormcoffee.com
Independent coffee shops with passionate staff and inventive toastie combinations.
Cairngorm sits high within Edinburgh’s independent coffee scene, particularly with the opening of a second, larger branch in Melville Place in March 2016. In the original Frederick Street venue, the interior displays hints of après-ski and Highland bothy. Coffee sacks loop above the seating area, signposting the café’s credentials while creating a cosy nook to enjoy your book or chat with friends. Sustenance comes in the form of crunchy, cheesy sourdough melts. The popular cheese and bacon toasties face stiff competition from unusual combinations such as stilton, bacon and pear with Edward & Irwyn chocolate which delivers a hearty lunch fit for a mountain climber. The guest filter is creamy and subtly fruity and lives up to the passionate recommendation made by the knowledgeable staff. With a team that clearly take great pride in their product, one cannot help but find their enthusiasm justifiably contagious.
- High point: A truly damn fine cup of coffee
- Low point: You’ll need to walk up Arthur’s Seat to burn off the calories
- Notable dish: Sourdough cheese toastie
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 21 with standing room available (12 outdoors)
- Open since: 2014