Osteria Del Tempo Perso
- Telephone 0131 221 1777
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Aug & Dec
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £10.50 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.osteriadeltempoperso.co.uk
Impressively fronted Bruntsfield Italian, where you can pick up pizza, pasta and a vintage bicycle.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When in Bruntsfield, do as the Romans do. With a sister restaurant just south of Rome, this eatery prides itself on authenticity; wine and selected ingredients are sourced directly from producers in Italy. So is the vintage bike displayed on the wall – it's (apparently) a symbol for 'everything that's good'. Diners are offered a glass of prosecco upon being seated, which is a nice touch if you want to wet your whistle as you wait (and wait you will – everything is cooked to order). Antipasti is encouraged to start while an excellent selection of homemade pasta makes up the bulk of the main course options. There are some interesting Italian takes on Scottish seafood and beef (the sea bass with lemon and tarragon and bistecca di manzo are most intriguing). The dessert selection is made up of simple, well-executed staples, with panacotta and ice-cream leading the charge. This dining experience is all about traditional dishes done well, and is meant to be savoured. As such, the menu starts with a reminder not to rush – after all, 'osteria del tempo perso' means 'inn of lost time'.
- High point: Authentic Italian ingredients
- Low point: Portions are a little large
- Notable dish: Spaghetti frutti de mare
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2014, March
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £17 per bottle