Osteria Del Tempo Perso
- Telephone 0131 221 1777
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Aug & Dec
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £10.50 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.osteriadeltempoperso.co.uk
Impressively fronted Bruntsfield Italian, where you can pick up pizza, pasta and a vintage bicycle.
Dining at the handsomely housed Osteria Del Tempo Perso, you are encouraged to relax and take your time as the Italians do. It’s good advice and you could heed it by kicking off with an appetite-sharpening Negroni Sbagliato or other Italianate cocktail while you nibble some antipasti. The menu is wide-ranging, so alongside nostalgic trattoria favourites and Italian takes on burgers and steaks are some less familiar dishes. Pasta is definitely a highlight and a bowl with spicy nduja sausage is right on the money — intensely tomatoey, porky sauce clings seductively to rigatoni. Saltimbocca comes in a glossily reduced sauce that might be a little pudding-sweet for some but the actual desserts are sound enough as shown by an amaretto custard tart with short, crumbly pastry. All of this, in addition to the slightly old-fashioned but warm service, adds up to the feeling that here they want you to have a good time while you take your time.
- High point: Good local buzz and interesting Italian-only wine list
- Low point: On busy nights, it's hard to hear above that buzz
- Notable dish: Mezze Rigatoni Nduja
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2014, March
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £17 per bottle