Miller & Carter
- Telephone 0131 339 4350
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu noon–6.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–5pm.
- Average price £11 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11
- Website www.millerandcarter.co.uk/millerandcartercramondbrig
Sophisticated steakhouse offering 30-day aged Scottish beef, served swiftly by a knowledgeable team.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Sitting proudly on Queensferry Road near Cramond and the Almond River, Miller and Carter is a smart, stylish restaurant. There’s a warren-like feel to the layout as the tables are split across several sections and levels which creates plenty of cosy nooks. The staff are knowledgeable, swift and genuinely interested in the 30-day aged Scottish beef they serve. It sits proudly at the forefront of their offering – the head chefs have even graduated from Miller and Carter’s very own steak school. With choices from ribeye to sirloin to chateaubriand, the carnivorous diner is well catered for here, but the included sides – from a crispy onion loaf to the rather odd lettuce wedge (a large chunk of iceberg with a hefty dollop of dressing) – feel a bit out of place. With a generous number of non-steak options, including sea bass and barbecue-glazed chicken, as well as a tempting selection of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, this restaurant has a wide appeal and bustles happily with conversation as couples, groups and families catch-up after a busy day.
- High point: Diverse menu with wide appeal
- Low point: Underwhelming starters
- Notable dish: Chateaubriand 16oz
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of popular music
- Capacity: 160 (40 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle