- Telephone 0141 243 2227
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–3pm & 5–11pm; Sat & Sun 2–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5pm–10pm; Fri noon–11pm; Sat/Sun 2–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3pm–10pm
- Average price £5.95 (3 tapas); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95 (3 tapas)
- Website www.cubatas.co.uk
An authentic and atmospheric West End tapas bar close to the Mitchell Library, focusing on rich flavours and engaging service.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
By day Cubatas does a roaring lunch trade being ideally located amid offices and boardrooms around Berkley and Elderslie streets. At night it transforms into a cosy candlelit nook, with deep brown walls giving way to flashes of original stone work, leather benches and tiled stone floors. Punchy flavours are the hallmark of head chef Juan Perrez-Jimenez. He knows how to ramp up a dish by exploiting a large palette of spices and colours to add unexpected highlights and twists. Pork cheeks cooked in red wine are deliciously tender, bolstered by rich red port sauce, while fried haloumi cheese is given sweetness and sharpness by a bright blueberry jam. A skewer of chicken kebab is steeped in a deep dark marinade and comes buzzing with North African spices while crispy balls of yielding beef and wild mushroom croquettes are enriched by a sweet and fruity apple sauce. Friendly and conversant floor staff work the room with ease attending to a wide array of families, couples, workers and foodies enjoying set price deal options and a splendid beer garden when the sun shines.
- High point: Creative cooking, lively flavours
- Low point: Not open till 2pm on weekends
- Notable dish: Beef and wild mushroom croquettes
Newly opened in February 2014, Cubatas is the dream of offering Scotland the authentic way of cooking in Spain nowadays. In Cubatas we challenged ourselves to bring you the tapas as they really are in Spain, to bring you the flavours that are setting trends among the palates of the Spanish people and of course, to make your dinning experience enjoyable in a modern and a casual atmosphere.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish pop and folk
- Live entertainment: Spanish acoustic music night held every Sunday
- Capacity: 58 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle