- Telephone 0131 559 4030
- Food served Tue 12.15pm; Wed–Fri 12.15pm and 6.15pm; closed Sat–Mon. Closed Sat–Mon. Closed outside term time and at other points in the academic year.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch); £14.95 (set evening meal)
- Website www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Welcome/…
Dining at The Apprentice is a unique opportunity to see education in action, while eating an impressive meal.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
So this is where it begins. Students with a passion to enter the wonderful world of food and drink give days, months, years of their lives to train as chefs and staff in the restaurant industry and you can see them in action here. As the restaurant fronting the Edinburgh College’s hospitality school, trainee chefs advance their skills under the ever watchful eyes of their mentor chefs. Producing lunches, dinners and a 5 course ‘Masterchef’ dinner on Wednesdays and Thursdays helps chefs and hospitality staff transition from training to professional experience. And diners are the beneficiaries, having the fun of watching the action in the kitchen via live video link as well as eating some impressive food. Forget staying at home with your favourite cooking show – come down to Granton for the real thing, plus a side order of delicious food, attentive service and a commitment to please.
- High point: A great bargain and great fun
- Low point: Diners must be seated no later than 6.45pm
- Notable dish: Menu changes daily
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 per bottle