- Telephone 0131 559 4030
- Food served Wed–Fri 12.15pm; Thu 6pm. Closed Sat–Tue.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch); £15 (set evening meal)
- Website www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Restaurants/…
Good food at unbeatable prices at this catering college training restaurant.
It’s easy to forget this place is a training restaurant for Edinburgh College's catering students. Only the location at the Granton campus and the over-enthusiastic welcome by the slightly nervous waiting staff gives the game away. On the food front, this place holds its own with many of Edinburgh’s finer dining spots. And for value for money, it’s unbeatable. Lunchtime offers three courses for a tenner, while on Thursday evenings £15 buys you a six-course dinner menu. Dishes are designed, cooked and served by the students and include a crisp-skinned fillet of sea bass in sumac and lime, braised feather blade of beef with pancetta and pearl barley, and a spicy dish of hake with mussels and spinach. The quality varies a little from dish to dish and from week to week. Come towards the end of term and you’ll find little to fault. But the fact you’ll often have to book several weeks in advance shows most folk are happy to overlook the odd slip in the face of a bargain meal. These apprentices should have no problem getting hired.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Random tunes
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 per bottle