- Telephone 0141 248 5705
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30; Sun/Mon noon–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6.30pm
- Average price £10 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £1.95–£2.95 (starter), £6.95–£8.95 (main)
- Website www.iguanas.co.uk
Riffing off the verve and vibrancy of Latin America, a visit to Las Iguanas will make for a fun-filled night out with friends.
With around 30 branches spread across the UK and a menu that is a whistle-stop tour of almost as many cuisines, it would be easy to dismiss Las Iguanas’ appeal on the grounds of its accessibility and universality. There is, however, a tangible energy about the restaurant, created in part by its bright tortoise and copper interior, an exciting cocktail list, lively open kitchen, and food that while at points might seem tangential, is fresh and tasty. Loosely Latin American inspired, dishes range from crowd-pleasers (nachos, tacos, Havana-glazed pork ribs, fajitas) to some more original offerings. These include Patagonian-style lamb meatballs enlivened with apple and nutmeg, while a tortilla of braised duck, paired with a spiced cranberry salsa, is a similarly enticing starter. For mains, seafood seems to be the area in which the kitchen is at its most identifiably South American – moqueca de pixie is studded with prawns, sweet plantain and pico de gallo in a coconut and tomato sauce, allowing for a highly enjoyable glimpse of this Brazilian fish stew.
- High point: Separate vegan and veggie menu available
- Low point: Not ideal for those seeking an intimate dinner
- Notable dish: Sea bass achiote
Walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil.
Each Las Iguanas restaurant is unique, and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures, to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink, in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life.
With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas Glasgow is proud of its fresh GM-free food and top quality ingredients.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Takeaway is via Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin music
- Capacity: 270
- Largest group: 35-40
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle