- Telephone 0141 248 5705
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30; Sun/Mon noon–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Sat noon–6.30pm
- Average price (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £6-£7.95 for one course
- Website www.iguanas.co.uk
Straightforward Latin American food dished up in a buzzy atmosphere – ideal for cocktails and celebrations, and caters well for special diets.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Las Iguanas is a vibrant slice of Latin America in central Glasgow. The large, bright dining room evokes the louche lifestyle of 1950s’ Miami, with its teak, tan and copper colour scheme punctuated with pops of neon, and the lively Latin soundtrack, with jugs of punch from the extensive cocktail menu adding to the party feel. The menu’s based on familiar mainstays such as burritos, burgers and steaks but also strays off the beaten track with inventive salads, mix-your-own guacamole, Bahian coconut chicken, and xinxim – chicken and crayfish simmered in a luscious peanut and lime sauce and served with a crunchy coconut sprinkle. Vegetarians and vegans have a separate menu with palm hearts, avocado, butternut squash and pulses replacing the meat and a good number of gluten-free options are also available. Desserts include a light macadamia and dulce con leche cheesecake and refreshing mango sorbet although the party crowd may prefer a cortada coffee – espresso cut with condensed milk and a shot or two of liqueur – to finish the night in style.
- High point: Inventive cocktails
- Low point: Disappointing burrito
- Notable dish: Xinxim
Walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil.
Each Las Iguanas restaurant is unique, and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures, to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink, in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life.
With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas Glasgow is proud of its fresh GM-free food and top quality ingredients.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Takeaway is via Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin party music, mambo, jazz
- Capacity: 270
- Largest group: 35 - 40
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.90 per bottle