- Telephone 0131 229 3495
- Opening times Mon–Wed 8am–4pm; Thu & Fri 8am–6pm; Sat 10am–5pm; Sun 11am–4pm.
- Seasonal times Open later in the summer
- Food served Mon–Wed 8.30am–5pm; Thu/Fri 8.30am–6pm; Sat 9.30am–6pm; Sun 9.30am–5pm.
- Average price £7.50 Soup & sandwich (set lunch)
- Website www.machina-espresso.co.uk
Tollcross haven for serious coffee drinkers and gearheads who like their wares served with a smile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If coffee’s your thing, Machina Espresso is your place. Choose between espresso-based drinks or pour-overs made in a Chemex. There’s a friendly and calm ambience, with locals popping in for a chat and a takeaway or sitting in for Union of Genius soup and Manna House bread. The toastie menu offers fillings of chorizo, manchego, and rocket; or goat’s cheese, spinach, walnuts, and honey. If you're inner child needs a treat try the Nutella and marshmallow. Décor comes in the form of some serious coffee brewing gear, some of which looks more like chemistry equipment, all of which is on sale here and at their warehouse. And if you don’t know how to use your new kit, there are training courses available to bring out that inner barista.
- High point: Well-executed coffees made from a selection of carefully curated roasts
- Low point: Attention to detail takes time, you may be kept waiting
- Notable dish: Coffee
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff picks
- Capacity: 18 (6 outside)
- Open since: 2013