- Telephone 0131 229 3495
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–6pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun 10am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Open later in the summer
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–7pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun 10am–6pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.machina-espresso.co.uk
Tollcross haven for serious coffee drinkers and gearheads who like their wares served with a smile.
Coffee geeks can rejoice at Machina Espresso. Beans are sustainably sourced from around the world and roasted onsite at their own Edinburgh warehouse to strict quality controls. It doesn’t stop once they’re ground, brewed and served either; both this branch and the sister cafe on Nicolson Street sell an extensive range of caffeine-related kit you didn’t know you needed (until now). The flat white is as well balanced as you’d expect, and the menu includes a selection of cakes and sandwiches featuring many of the city’s small producers such as the Bearded Baker and Manna House Bakery. And don’t be put off if you’re not a coffee expert or worried about too-cool-for-school baristas. Inside it’s a bright, welcoming space, with friendly service plus outdoor seating for sunny days, well placed between the Meadows and Tollcross.
- High point: Coffee with substance as well as style
- Low point: No disabled loo
- Notable dish: Flat white
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: soul, funk
- Live entertainment: Occasional events for local artists displaying work
- Capacity: 24 (10 outdoors)
- Open since: 2013