- Telephone 0131 667 2701
- Seasonal times Late licence during Edinburgh Festival
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.clerksbar.com
Tex-Mex meets Scotland at this bustling Southside local, purveying local ales, home-smoked meats, gourmet burgers and hot dogs.
There’s plenty going on at this Southside hostelry; in-house events include open mic sessions, live music, quizzes, and big-screen football action at the weekends. There’s even a function room (offering buffet meals) if you want to host your own bash. The décor has a whiff of Americana about it with pop-art murals and wood cabin-style panelling on the walls. Likewise the menu heads towards the Tex-Mex side of the pub-grub spectrum with a selection of burgers, gourmet hot dogs and smoky ribs. Tables are laden with a great range of spicy sauces and rolls of paper towels; handy for mopping up tangy pulled pork and apple burgers with onion rings or a sharing platter of home-smoked meats including smoked chicken and baby back ribs. There’s a reasonable selection of cask, draught and bottled ales, with an emphasis on ‘beer-miles’ and showcasing local breweries.
- High point: Local beer for local people
- Low point: Slim pickings for vegetarians
- Notable dish: Hot Fuzz burger of pulled pork, chilli sauce and onion rings
- Private dining: Up to 70 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie, funk and soul
- Live entertainment: Live music, quizzes, open mic sessions, movies and games nights, football on big screen at weekends
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle