- Telephone 0131 344 7344
- Seasonal times Open in term times only
- Food served Tue 5pm; Wed 12.15–12.45pm; Thu 12.15–12.45pm, 6.15pm; Fri 12.15–12.45pm. Closed Sat–Mon.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch); (set evening meal)
- Website www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Restaurants/…
Fine dining, bargain prices and a spectacular view at Edinburgh College's training restaurant.
If you’re prepared to roll the dice on quality, then you’ll be hard pressed to find a better value fine dining option in Edinburgh. Along with The Apprentice in Granton, this training restaurant is staffed by Edinburgh College catering students who take turns at pastry, service, butchery and kitchen duties. Come on the right day and they’ll have been in their respective roles for nine weeks and have everything down to a tee. Come a week later, and you’ll find them cutting their teeth in a new position. Lunch is served from Wednesday to Friday, two or three courses which change weekly. There’s a supper club on Tuesday and Thursday evenings which sees the third year students raise the bar with a masterchef fine dining set menu. The ingredients in a caesar salad don’t quite come together but a dish of lamb with sweet potato purée and berry jus hits the spot and poached pears with chocolate crumble and chanterelle cream is flawless. The décor is institutional but the fifth floor view, taking in everything from the Pentland Hills to the Firth of Forth, is worth the visit alone.
- High point: Great value food
- Low point: They’re still learning their craft
- Notable dish: Lamb loin with sweet potato purée and berry jus
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed background tunes
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 per bottle