- Telephone 0141 353 1111
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7.30am–4.30pm; Sat 9am–4.30pm; Sun 11am–4.30pm
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–5.30pm; Sat 9am–5.30pm; Sun 11am–5.30pm
- Average price £6.50 (lunch)
- Website laboratorioespresso.com
A well-designed, contemporary take on a Milanese coffee bar, offering a good choice of espressos and guest filters as well as cakes, croissants and sandwiches.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This contemporary Milanese-style coffee bar has been a port of call for connoisseurs of fine coffee and Italianate treats since 2013. The trim glass façade reveals a small interior with only two tables and some bar-seating, given space with a lofty wooden-slat roof and clean minimal design. Coffee rules supreme, with an a-frame board announcing rotating guest filters from the likes of Five Elephant and The Barn (Berlin), as well as a house espresso blend from English roasting stalwart Has Bean. Espresso and Aeropress are both delivered with scientific precision so expect velvety-smooth flat whites and well-balanced long blacks. Rustic Italian sandwiches from Eusebi Deli let quality ingredients sing, and there’s daily cakes and treats such as cannoli biscotti and affogato. Good for takeaway, and a great spot to sit and enjoy the city surroundings – if you can get a seat.
- High point: One of the city’s best coffee spots
- Low point: Sandwiches and seats are limited
- Notable dish: Salami sandwich from Eusebis
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 14 (16 outdoors)
- Open since: 2013