The Mad Hatter
- Bar open Mon–Tue 4pm–midnight; Wed–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Tue 4–9pm; Wed–Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £4.95 (one course only; £7.45 with a glass of wine).; £7.50 (one course only)
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
An unusual premises in an odd part of town (although the refurbishment of Haymarket rail station and the coming of the trams might enliven the area), the Mad Hatter has taken a small, low-ceilinged, L-shaped room and turned it into a commendably cosy little destination pub thanks to a brightening makeover. The second establishment run by the team behind Tollcross’ versatile local the Cuckoo’s Nest, it does a bit of everything without over-reaching. The cocktail and wine lists are reasonably well stocked and the food menu offers contemporary pub food at not unreasonable prices, while there’s a pub quiz every Wednesday, a for-hire function area and overspill bar called the White Room downstairs, and a very reasonable lunch deal of salad or panini and sides for under a fiver. Local office workers and those commuting from Haymarket might want to take note of its presence.
- High point: An oasis in an area not well served by bars
- Low point: So hidden away you might miss it
- Notable dish: Cumberland sausage with mash and onion gravy.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie, funk, soul and disco.
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Edinburgh User Experience Meetup
Edinburgh UX meetup invites UX people of all flavours to a monthly meeting of minds – a place to share ideas and indulge in idle banter. Each meeting has general theme - just a suggestion to get things rolling, conversationally speaking anything goes! Whether you be designer, developer, guerrilla, enthusiast or just…