The Mad Hatter
- Telephone 0131 228 6852
- Bar open Mon/Tue 4pm–midnight; Wed/Thu 4pm–1am; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 4–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Tue 4–9.30pm; Wed–Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Average price £15 (evening meal)
- Website themadhatterbaredinburgh.com
The Mad Hatter is a cosy, friendly wee pub, handy for Haymarket and a bit of a find in an area that's not particularly well-served for decent boozers.
An unusual premises in an odd part of town, the Mad Hatter has taken a small, low-ceilinged, L-shaped room and turned it into a commendably cosy little destination pub thanks to a brightening makeover. The second establishment run by the team behind Tollcross’ versatile local the Cuckoo’s Nest, it does a bit of everything without over-reaching. The cocktail and wine lists are reasonably well stocked and the food menu offers contemporary pub food at not unreasonable prices, while there’s a pub quiz every Wednesday, a for-hire function area and overspill bar called the White Room downstairs, and a very reasonable lunch deal of salad or panini and sides. Local office workers and those commuting from Haymarket might want to take note of its presence.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle