- Telephone 0141 334 0761
- Bar open Mon 5pm–1am; Tue–Sun noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4–6pm
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95 (3 tapas)
- Website www.riojafinnieston.co.uk
With mighty big flavours in small dishes, this fun and friendly Finnieston diner is pushing to keep tapas lively and interesting.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Originally a pop-up in this thriving food and drink stretch of the West End, Rioja has built ample confidence and customer loyalty to put its roots down and become a classy fixture in Finnieston. A chic dark space with mirrored walls, reclaimed lampshades and gigantic blackboards, the room has the air of a groovy wine bar somewhere north of Granada. Tapas come from two menus – classic and modern – and can be ordered at the bar or taken at cosy candlelit tables hogging the walls. ‘Clásicas’ include the magnificent fideuà, a sweet, fragrant stew with earthy wild mushrooms and a rich juicy pork belly served with soft noodles, while the ‘Modernas’ menu boasts oodles of imaginative flavours and ideas packed into spirited dishes. Fried chicken wing lollipops are a fun serving with chunky honeyed meat, while rustic black pudding is rolled into a long thin crispy shell and accompanied by a rich apple sauce. The lure of stylish presentation, bounteous cocktails, and a lively and efficient serving team keeps Rioja busy all day and night – so booking, especially at weekends, is recommended.
- High point: Fun, friendly and full of authentic flavours
- Low point: Signage – it's easy to miss
- Notable dish: Fideuà
- Delivery: £2 local
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie pop, funky, electronica
- Live entertainment: Occassional Dj nights, Spanish movie nights
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle