- Telephone 0141 334 0761
- Opening times Daily: noon–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4–6pm
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17.95 (3 tapas)
- Website www.riojafinnieston.co.uk
With innovative flavours in small dishes, this stylish Finnieston bar puts tapas into an urban setting.
There’s a touch of urban chic here on the fashionable Finniestion strip. It’s origins as a pop-up can be seen in a bar sitting atop corrugated iron sheets; fringed lampshades hang knowingly askew against a backdrop of criss-crossed cables. Such contrasts and intricate layers find expression in a menu containing both traditional tapas and gastronomic innovation – the best of which is a wonderful slow-cooked lamb dusted with chopped almonds. For all the invention, the kitchen also turns out classics to a high standard. Croquettes have the right mix of crunch and soft filling, while Galician-style octopus blends eye-catching red and purple hues with soft buttery white meat underneath. Market menus provide variety throughout the year and the smart wine list complements the food. If you’re bored of patatas bravas, then patatas Riojana – one large cubed potato drizzled with chorizo and pork – is the answer. Similar to the hip bars of Bilbao or Madrid, for those bored of tapas bars with blaring flamenco, Rioja may well be the answer.
- High point: Dares to be different
- Low point: Beer selection could be better
- Notable dish: Slow cooked leg of Spring lamb, almond crumb and mashed potatoes
- Delivery: £2 local
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Deep house
- Live entertainment: Occassional Dj nights
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle