- Telephone 0131 524 7142
- Opening times Daily: 11am–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Fri 4pm–1am; Sat/Sun 3pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 4–10.30 pm; Sat/Sun 3–10.30pm.
- Average price £23 (evening meal)
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/…
Surprisingly comfortable and unpretentious bar with smart staff guiding you through a bewildering array of drams.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tucked behind reception and lacking an on-street entrance, Scotch is easily overlooked. Yet this cosy, converted drawing room is the perfect spot to while away a few hours in search of the ultimate dram. It’s a comfortable, clubby space; with the obligatory stag’s head and well-stuffed armchairs in tweeds and golden tones to match the malt’s amber hues. Yes, other drinks are available. And you can order food (think sharing platters, burgers, or a seafood barley risotto) from a short menu prepared by the hotel’s Hadrian’s Brasserie. But really, this place is mainly about the more than 500 malt whiskies which take up an entire wall of the room. Smart staff will happily deliver a digestible crash course in single malts for the novice or engage in detailed debates with whisky aficionados. Whatever your tastes, they’ll match you with an appropriate malt you can savour with a well-chosen bar snack of smoked almonds, charcuterie or salted caramel chocolate.
- High point: Massive selection of whiskies …
- Low point: … some of them eye-wateringly expensive
- Notable dish: Salted caramel chocolate and a BenRiach single malt
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classical and chillout
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 25 seated (45 standing)
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: More than 500 whiskies to date
- House wine: Drams start from £5 and go up to the £100's per bottle