Beer & Skittles
- Box office 0131 556 1289
- General enquiries 0131 556 1289
- Opening times Mon–Fri 4pm–1am; Sat & Sun noon–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Wed 5pm–midnight; Thu–5pm–1am; Fri 5pm–2am; Sat noon–2am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–9.30pm.
- Average price £10 (evening meal)
- Website www.beerandskittlesbar.co.uk
Basement beer bar specialising in international brews, with a great outside area and one heck of a neon sign.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If you've ever wanted to travel the world one beer at a time, you can pretty much do so while sitting in this basement bar. You can even get a World Beer Tour Card to track your progress as you sample their 100 beers from around the globe (not all on the same day, of course. That would be silly). Start with their own craft lager, before moving onto international flavours such as Brooklyn Lager, Estrella and Caesar Augustus. If beer’s not your thing, there’s a solid range of cocktails: Strawberry Fizz is Bottega prosecco, strawberries, vanilla essence and vodka, while the Havana Rum mojitos go down very well indeed. The kitchen here serves up a range of meaty treats with regular specials, like chargrilled green pepper and olive tapenade, and there’s a good selection of sides (read: tasty fries). This is the place to go if you like trying interesting new beers and classic old burgers (and don't mind walking down some stairs to get to them).
- High point: Extensive beer menu
- Low point: A hotspot for stag dos
- No. overnight rooms: 10
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: noughties indie rock
- Capacity: 250 standing; 70 seated
- Largest group: 250
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19 per bottle