The Bluebird Café
Friendly, pocket-sized neighbourhood cafe serving up coffee and pancakes, pulled pork and meatloaf to an Americana soundtrack.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This friendly little place has ambitions as big as the portions of Deep Southern comfort food it doles out. Named after a famous Nashville music venue, the Bluebird Café owes its existence to owner Kylie Macgregor’s love of the food and sounds she discovered visiting the southern states of the USA. Try a stack of Tennessee buttermilk pancakes with crisp bacon and maple syrup for breakfast, or choose from hotdogs, meatloaf burgers, nachos and quesadillas for lunch with a portion of homemade slaw or pulled pork on the side. Everything from the meats to the soups and cakes is handmade, there are vegetarian and vegan options and the menu can be adjusted to meet dietary needs. There are also occasional live music nights where a two-course meal is served up alongside an acoustic set in what must be Edinburgh’s most intimate venue.
- High point: A real Southern embrace
- Low point: It’s a bit of a squeeze
- Notable dish: Memphis pulled pork frankfurter
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: US folk and Americana
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music and dinner events
- Capacity: 14
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2014