This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 226 5111
- Opening times Tue–Sun 11am–11pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sun 5–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun before 7.30pm
- Average price £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95 for 3 courses
- Website www.sureethai.co.uk
Friendly neighbourhood Thai in the heart of Stockbridge delivers classic favourites as well as some less-seen treats
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Up a short flight of stone steps, large Georgian windows brighten Suree Thai as they look on to intimate St Stephen’s Street in the heart of Stockbridge. The small, tasteful dining room is semi-divided into two spaces enabling both to feel cosy but not crowded. The menu is filled with traditional Thai curries and stir fries, satays and tom yums, but less often seen, and great shared as a starter, is the warm larb salad of chicken or pork, which has just enough chilli heat to wake up the palate, tempered by lime leaf and mint cool. Talay pud kee mao, piled with many scallops, mussels, squid and prawns, is coated in a mildly spicy sauce piqued with a splash of red wine, while the red Thai curry roast duck, accented with plump lychees and pineapple, is flavoursome if a bit fatty. Clearly popular with locals for dining in and delivery, the restaurant hums even on quieter evenings, while staff provide thoughtful care for their customers
- High point: Friendly neighbourhood Thai, working to please
- Low point: Puddings are a bit of a non-starter
- Notable dish: Chicken larb
- Delivery: Deliveroo – https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/suree-thai
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Inaudible background music
- Capacity: 26
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £3 corkage