Hendersons Shop & Deli
- Telephone 0131 225 6694
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–7pm; Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Fri 8am–7pm; Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–6pm; Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Average price (set lunch); (set evening meal)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/deli.php
Edinburgh institution for vegetarian and vegan fare, providing fresh and healthy food for sit-in and take-away.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Hendersons Shop and Deli, Edinburgh’s institution for veggie fare, offers a clean and bright interior after a recent refurbishment. French-grey walls, white tiling and marble tops showcase its colourful and vibrant fare, while old bookcases and racks display local artisan produce and freshly baked loaves. Available for both sit-in and take-away, food offerings are healthy and fresh, including seasonal salads, soups, wraps, veggie burgers and a hot daily special. Flavours of aromatic aniseed stand out in the chickpea, fennel and black bean salad and there’s a hint of smokiness in a salad of butternut squash, wild rice and tofu. Vegan and gluten-free chocolate cake to accompany an almond milk cappuccino show Hendersons take dietary requirements seriously – in fact, there are multiple dairy-free milk options, aside from the usual soya: despite being over 50 years old, Hendersons approach is anything but dated.
- High point: Plenty of vegan and gluten-free options
- Low point: Cakes are a bit dry
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed playlist
- Capacity: 16
- Open since: 1962