- Telephone 0131 662 8895
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.lianpu.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Named after the Chinese opera masks tradition, Lian Pu’s fast-food interior is just as colourful. Stepping back from the Cantonese-style food we’ve come to equate with ‘Chinese’, the aim is to introduce people to less familiar regional dishes: their most popular order, Hong Shao Roo, is a sweet dish of tender belly pork in a soy and ginger-based sauce. The pan-Asian favourites aren’t completely ignored, however, with excellent Japanese dumplings and noodles of every incarnation. They’re big fans of many-flavoured bubble tea, with bursting fruit drops or divisive tapioca – sugary and milky, it makes a good pudding. Prices are student-cheap, with a particularly good value bento box.
- High point: Chance to try some unusual Chinese dishes
- Low point: Bubble tea may be an acquired taste